Thursday, October 26, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks - Television Edition: Horror

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Join in the fun by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

Halloween is drawing ever closer, and it's FINALLY starting to feel like Autumn here in NYC. Autumn is my favorite season, so this makes me sigh a great sigh of relief. Summer weather has just lasted WAY too long this year. There's now a slight breeze and chill in the air that I just love. It also means that every TV show is now trying to be a little bit spooky. Which is fine by me. Horror is easier to take in smaller doses, so I generally like horror TV shows a bit more than I do horror movies. The three below are two of my all-time favorites and one show that, frankly, should be so much better than it is, but is often still pretty good anyway.

The X-Files (1993-2002) It's true, classifying The X-Files as horror does it a bit of a disservice. After all, in its heyday, it could be just about anything from week to week. But there was usually an element of the scary, or at the very least the creepy, and the creepy-crawlies made multiple appearances. The basic premise is simple: Two FBI agents comprise in the bureau's "weird cases" division, one of whom is a true believer in aliens and the supernatural and one of whom is a scientist who is naturally skeptical of such things. But creator Chris Carter did so much more with it than that, creating a longer-term story arc deemed "the mythology" that had more influence on the state of TV programs today than most will admit. It's taken for granted now that the best episodes of the show were the "monster of the week"-style episodes, and the episodes focused on the "mythology" arc were lesser, but at the time, this was ALL truly thrilling stuff. On a personal level, The X-Files was basically my introduction to the horror genre. It was my mom's favorite show (next to ER), and when my sister and I reached the age when we were allowed to stay up late on Sundays to watch it, we were excited - we finally felt like grown-ups!
Favorite Episodes: "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man", "The Post-Modern Prometheus", "Triangle", "How The Ghosts Stole Christmas"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003) Yet another show that it feels like a disservice to reduce to being a "horror" show, as well as another show that had more influence on today's TV shows than most are willing to admit, Buffy was basically my favorite show in high school. The story of a teenager who is the latest in a long line of Vampire Slayers - "chosen" ones who have been called by fate to fight the undead (and other monsters), her friends (and a frenemy or two), and her "Watcher" (her high school librarian, natch)... and the hunky vampire with a soul Angel. Creator Joss Whedon's stroke of brilliance to have Sunnydale High School literally sitting on top of a Hell Mouth (exactly what it sounds like) and use the demons as metaphors for the vagaries of teenage life is what allows the show to endure, but the show's whip-smart, ultra-quotable dialogue is what made it a huge hit among the teens of the '90s.
Favorite Episodes: "Doppelgangland", "Hush", "Restless", "The Body", "Once More With Feeling"

American Horror Story (2011-Present) Ryan Murphy's grand guignol anthology series is SO hit-or-miss, but at its best (unquestionably the second season, Asylum), it has a truly terrifying anything-could-happen brazenness that makes it required viewing. Given that each season is its own complete story, you an skip the seasons that don't seem like your thing. In addition to the aforementioned Asylum (in which Sarah Paulson's lesbian journalist commits herself to Jessica Lange's Catholic nun-run asylum for a career-making scoop), the best seasons are the first (Murder House, in which Dylan McDermott's psychiatrist and his wife Connie Britton move to the titular house in LA after a bout of infidelity on his part, only to find out it's haunted - by busybody next-door neighbor Jessica Lange as well as by ghosts both friendly and malevolent), and probably the absolutely demented sixth season, Roanoke (a "true crime"-style show within the show about a couple who move to a renovated home in the backwoods of North Carolina, supposedly on the spot where the infamous Roanoke Colony moved after its sudden disappearance). The third season, Coven, is wildly uneven and terribly scripted despite some entertaining performances; the fourth, Freak Show, is a wasted opportunity; and the fifth, Hotel is a gorgeous slog. American Horror Story is not a show that very much cares for silly things like logic and consistency, but in its best moments, that doesn't matter.

12 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen AHS latest but while uneven the performances are so good and it's a hugely entertaining show. Asylum is probably the best season for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like one of the only people who has never watched Buffy. That it something I absolutely need to do one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG WATCH IT!! I really think you'd love it. Plus it's just REALLY good.

      Delete
  3. I've given up on American Horror Story. I gave it a go because of the hoopla and Jessica Lange and rode out the feelings of unease some of the episodes gave me and found some of it worthwhile but the season set in the hotel was a bridge too far for me and I won't go back.

    I've never seen a minute of either Buffy or X-Files. I can not abide Sarah Michelle Gellar so a show starring her is completely risible and I worked with someone who was so X-Files mad and talked about it SO much it put me off the show.

    Not being a horror enthusiast I don't watch many shows with that theme but if it has good word of mouth or catches my fancy I'll give them a shot so I was at least able to come up with a trio for the week.

    Dexter (2006-2013)-Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) is a highly respected blood splatter expert with the Miami police department. He seems a little odd and secretive but his co-workers including his sister Deb know that in his past he had some traumatic experiences so they allow him some space. Thing is Dexter has a sideline that keeps him pretty busy off hours…he’s a serial killer who only pursues the evilest of men & women and disposes of them without a trace. Dark, dark comedy that intermingles gallows humor with gore, its absurdist viewpoint is greatly enhanced by Hall’s performance in the lead.

    Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1975)-Weathered persnickety Chicago newspaper reporter Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) seems to have a real knack for stumbling across bizarre often ritualistic seeming deaths. Turns out that’s because Chicago is apparently a hotbed for every sort of supernatural being, witches, vampires, zombies etc. imaginable. Kolchak usually get to the bottom of each case but somehow can never quite make a believer out of his editor Tony Vincenzo (Simon Oakland). One season series originated with two highly rated TV movies (the first earned a 54 share!), was stacked with familiar faces and had a twisty sense of humor mixed with its horror. The studio however never quite figured out how to market it and buried in a bad time slot.

    Night Gallery (1970-1973)-Second anthology series by Rod Serling isn’t quite the masterpiece The Twilight Zone was but had many original memorable episodes. Unlike the original this usually contained two or even three shorter vignettes that leaned more often towards horror and the supernatural than science fiction. Thought neither as well-known nor as critically respected as the first it did create several famous episodes including “Green Fingers”, “The Diary”, They’re Tearing Down Tim Riley’s Bar”, “Silent Snow, Secret Snow”, “Caterpillar” and “Whisper” starring a very young Sally Field among others. Originated with a TV movie that provided Steven Spielberg with his first directing gig in an episode starring Joan Crawford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up on AHS about halfway through Freak Show (Coven was terrible, but the setting was so perfect), but Roanoke brought me back, and I tried Hotel but was bored after about two episodes. The show is at its best when it's throwing a million things at the wall and seeing what sticks, which is not really a great place to be because there's naturally a lot that doesn't work, but the performances are worth it. Lange more than earned her two Emmys (and Sarah Paulson should have one for Asylum).

      Even if you've been put off The X-Files I encourage you to watch the episode How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, which is a perfect stand-alone episode with the terrific pairing of Lily Tomlin and Ed Asner as married ghosts playing psychological games with Mulder and Scully. It's lots of fun.

      I've not seen any of your picks but have been meaning to watch Dexter for a while.

      Delete
  4. I think our moms had similar tastes in tv shows back in the 90s, we sat down every week to watch The X-Files and ER. I was so young for most of it that I barely remembered until I re-watched The X-Files years later, but it definitely gave me a taste for horror and sci-fi! So the show is pretty dear to me.

    Personal stories aside, it's an awesome show and I'm glad you picked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched a few episodes of The X-Files back in the day, but my brother was a much bigger fan. I've seen an episode or two of Buffy, but couldn't get into it. I've seen a little of AHS thanks to my daughter being into it. I might watch a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of AHS is fun, some is intriguing but not really "fun", and some is just boring. I think you'd like it, though.

      Delete
  6. I used to watch Buffy when I was a kid and I loved it. I still can't believe I haven't started AHS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We match with the X files which is a show I love and watched all the time. I never watched the whole Buffy things but I did see episodes and I liked the horror with humour...better than I thought it would be. I have not seen Smerican Horror Story at all unless you are talking about the real story that you are living right now...Trump..hahaaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GOD I can't even talk about our REAL-LIFE American Horror Story, which the most recent of the show used as a jumping off point for a story about a cult (I'm reserving judgment until the season ends but I'm liking-not-loving it so far).

      Delete
  8. When I saw Buffy as a kid...I didn't even think of it as horror. I was a fun high school series that just had vampires and other creatures and with a lot of humor too.

    ReplyDelete