Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thurssday Movie Picks: Movies based on a Graphic Novel/Comic (Non-Superhero)

Written as part of the blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. You can play along, too - just pick three movies that fit the weekly theme and tell us about them!

I must admit, I don't think I've ever read a graphic novel. Nothing against them, I've just never read one. Although there have been some that have been on my radar for a while that I really do want to read some day (Maus is at the top of that list). However, I have seen plenty of movies based on graphic novels, and I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed all of them. Here are three of my favorites.

A History of Violence (David Cronenberg, 2004) Cronenberg's masterpiece about the seedy underbelly of the American Family features career-best performances from Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello, as small-town diner owner Tom Stall and his wife Edie. When two thugs attempt to rob his diner and threaten a waitress, quiet, unassuming Tom turns into a bad-ass, killing them with a bit too much ease. His actions make him a local celebrity, and his life is turned upside-down. Is he who he says he is? Or is there something more to this man? Incredible performances all around and a killer editing job make this lean and mean thriller a psychological tour de force. The last scene is absolute PERFECTION. And also: one of the hottest sex scenes ever put on film.

Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff, 2001) This movie is so dead-on about so many things - being a teenager, cynicism, selling out, art - that I find myself quoting it all the time. The magnificent Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson are Enid and Rebecca, best friends who have just graduated from high school. The two social outcasts find another in Steve Buscemi's lonely Seymour, whom they initially make fun of. But Enid starts to feel sympathy for him, and becomes friends with him. As they grow closer, Enid and Rebecca's lives start to diverge and they drift apart. Cuttingly funny and sad in equal measure, the killer screenplay was rightly nominated for an Oscar. And also: Thora Birch gives one of the greatest song-and-dance routines ever outside of a musical. AND ALSO: "Mirror, Father, Mirror". BRILLIANT.

Snowpiercer (Bong Joon-ho, 2014) We all knew Chris Evans was a good action hero, thanks to Marvel and the Captain America movies, but who knew he could get this gritty with it? A near-perfect match of director to material, Bong Joon-ho's film should have been a box office smash (and very well might have been if Harvey Weinstein hadn't demoted it to his boutique division because the director RIGHTLY insisted on not making any cuts to the film). The film takes place in a grim future where the entire world has been covered in snow and ice. All the surviving members of the human race live on a perpetual motion train, divided into class sections. As the human race is wont to do. The peasants at the rear of the train rise up one day, and fight their way through all the different cars to the front of the train, where the mysterious engine and its creator are located. Bursting with originality and featuring some killer editing and cinematography, Snowpiercer is one of the best action films in years. And also: a flat-out BRILLIANT performance from Tilda Swinton as the twisted Minister Mason.

22 comments:

  1. Ghost World is SO MUCH YES! Love that movie. I really liked the other two, but I'm not entirely taken with them. But...that sex scene...like...OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in love with Maria Bello before, but that scene just... they are BOTH so fucking HOT. AHoV is actually one of my all-time favorite films. In large part because of that scene. And the last scene. And Viggo's performance. And the opening scene. And...

      Delete
  2. Great picks! Snowpiercer made my list and I can't believe I forgot about Ghost World, I love that film! A History of Violence really sounds interesting...I might have to check that out!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A History of Violence is one of my all-time favorites. Really, really great.

      Delete
  3. Ghost World is really popular today. I'll have to check that out. Your other two are both solid films. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone in the dearth of knowledge about the comic/graphic novel genre. I read one, I can't even remember the name to try them out but they're not for me. I have seen some that are based on them though including your first too. I like History of Violence much more then I expected to but Ghost World was meh for me. I've yet to catch up with Snowpiercer but it is on my list. One of my choices stars Chris Evans as well, he is quite the action guy.

    Here's my three:

    The Losers (2010)-Based on the comic book series of the same name this is loud, fast-paced dumb fun. An elite team of agents is betrayed by their superior and being presumed dead set out for revenge. Stretches credibility to the breaking point but it moves at a breakneck pace and Chris Evans livens things up with a loose jokey performance.

    The Rocketeer (1991)-In the late 30's a young pilot discovers a jet pack that enables him to fly. Disguised as the Rocketeer he becomes a masked hero fighting the Nazi threat. Reminiscent of a Saturday afternoon matinee serial entry from the 50's but with a much higher budget and a fun somewhat hammy performance by Timothy Dalton as a matinee idol up to no good. Based on the comic by Dave Stevens.

    Weird Science (1985)-In this silly sci-fi comedy based on the old EC comic magazines two nerds shunned by their classmates create the ideal woman on their computer. When a lightning bolt brings the woman to life she tries to build their self-confidence but things quickly spiral out of control creating havoc all around. One of John Hughes quartet of highly successful 80's teen comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE The Rocketeer SO. MUCH. I was obsessed with it when it came out (I was 7) - the entire main cast was just so damn attractive, and the action sequences were genuinely exciting. I still love it. Dalton's performance is a ton of fun.

      I hate to admit it, but I still haven't seen Weird Science.

      Delete
    2. I should add that I ALMOST picked The Rocketeer, but decided it veered too close to superhero territory. Can't wait to see what you think of Snowpiercer. It's incredibly inventive and the art direction is just beyond, as is Tilda. But it's also super-violent and even Ed Harris has a tough time saving the last scene.

      Delete
    3. I thought about Rocketeer being a superhero movie but really he doesn't have any super powers just an invention that he uses to propel himself and a costume. Once he gets anywhere he has to rely on his human physical prowess. And I agree that everybody is made to look their absolute best. Of course it helped that they were plenty beautiful to begin with.

      Did you know that Billy Campbell and Jennifer Connelly were seriously involved for about five years to the point of being engaged for a while?

      Delete
    4. Yes, I did. And I was incredibly jealous, as he was my imaginary boyfriend and she my imaginary girlfriend. It's probably for the best they broke it off. That's entirely too much pretty for the world to handle!

      Delete
    5. Well if he was your imaginary boyfriend did you see him in the Tales of the City mini-series, especially the second Further Tales of the City? He is...not shy.

      Delete
  5. Snowpiercer is a popular choice, perhaps I should see it....

    Harvey Weinstein can be an arse at times, he's very award focused and very determined to get them

    Anyway, the other two seem interesting films as well, so I'll check them out too. Cronenberg is one of my favourite directors so I have no excuse at not having seen A History of Violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvey just has a very set idea of what "audiences" will go see. It's like he's forgotten how to market things. Snowpiercer could have made so much more money than it did but he takes everything personally and can NEVER admit when he's wrong. It's a killer action flick with huge stars giving great performances.

      A History of Violence is INCREDIBLE. One of Cronenberg's best, even though it's among his least weird.

      Delete
  6. Hey, I was just commenting how I thought there'd be more History of Vioence. I'm glad you picked it. I've been looking forward to this week's theme for weeks now so I could pick and rewatch Ghost World. Snowpiercer is great too. You know that I had no idea that it was a graphic novel? Three great picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man! I thought there would be more History of Violence, too - such a great film. Also expected a lot of Ghost World picks since it's so great.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea Snowpiercer (which I've seen) and A History of Violence (which has been on my list for a long time) were based on graphic novels. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know History of Violence was based on a graphic novel. I love all three of these films.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm basically repeating Brittani's comment! I'd definitely read it, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just commenting on someone else's post that I had yet to see A History of Violence pop up yet, glad it made it on someone's list. Ghost World and Snowpiercer are both great picks! - Bubbawheat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because most don't know that it's based on a graphic novel. Sort of like Road to Perdition.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, man! Yeah, I love A History of Violence - so well done. And it made me curious to see what it was like in graphic novel form.

      Delete